Thursday, February 9, 2012

Applied Mathematics Semester Review



Last semester in our 7th grade math class, I learned plenty of things. However, there was one lesson that I learned and never will forget, how to do a Fermi Math Problem!

My question was How much time will I spend walking up and down the staircases from now until I'm 22 years old. So first, I found that it takes me about 15 seconds to go both up and down the steps and I do that around 20 times every day. Next, I calculated how many seconds it takes me every day (20*15= 300 seconds). Then, I found out that from now untill I'm 22 is 10 years and 300 seconds times 365 days per year equals 109,500 seconds. Next, I multiplied 109,500 seconds by 10 years and got 1,095,000 seconds. Finally, I took 1,095,000 seconds divided by 60 and got 18,250 minuets and then divided that by 60 and got…                                                             
304 hours walking up and down the steps!!

I'm glad that I was able to learn how to solve those problems because in real life this could really come in handy for things such as how much money you can spend a year or how long it will take you to college in order for you to earn a job. Thank you Wes for teaching me this wonderful skill!!! (The difference between applied and theoretical math is that applied math is is when you put what you learned to practical use rather than just studying it.) 



Ten Terms and Formulas Learned Last Semester
Triangle
Area = ½b × h
b = base
h = vertical height
Square
Area = a2
a = length of side
Rectangle
Area = w × h
w = width
h = height
Parallelogram
Area = b × h
b = base
h = vertical height
Trapezoid (US)
Trapezium (UK)
Area = ½(a+b) × h
h = vertical height
Circle
Area = πr2
Circumference=2πr
r = radius
Ellipse
Area = πab
Sector
Area = ½r2θ 
r = radius
θ = angle in radians
Volume of a cylinder
Percent Change Formula


No comments:

Post a Comment